View Single Post
Old
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
ABasin
Asset management

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
like hasbro says, he's was top 10 in scoring prior to the injury, and I think his pace put him at 90+ points...and he's a brilliant defender....and he produces with just about any wingers. Is that not elite?

I guess you're saying you want him to be more of a game-breaker -- that I see. It's rare (if ever) that Stastny just takes over a game the way an Ovy or Crosby does. I'm not sure it's in his skill set though -- he's not blessed with their ridiculous skills, it's all his killer intangibles and hockey sense with some good skills...hence why we got him in the 2nd round.

Who knows, he might gain that ability in the future -- nothing he does would surprise me at this point. But my gut tells me he's already close to his ceiling because of his lesser raw skill set when compared to game-breakers. I still say he's already an elite player though.
Yes, he played quite well early on last season, but would you call him one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the NHL at this point? If not, then I'd put forth that we're throwing around the word 'elite' pretty loosely here.

I guess I'd like to see him take over the team, really. I'm not upset with any lack of development in the least. He's a terrific young player. I guess I'd just like to see him become one of the very best players. A lot to put on a kid's shoulders, but if not him, then who?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote