View Single Post
Old
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Yeah, he didn't give any programming specific updates, which is reasonable being that the merger was only approved a couple of days ago. It seemed like the initial feeling is that everyone will be able to keep their existing service, and then pay an additional fee ($4 or so) to add certain channels from the other service. In the end, it sounds like they're going for a cable TV type package, where you pay $12.95 for basic service and then add-on premium channels for additional cash.

I'm personally bummed out about this, because I thought the whole point of the merger was to streamline operations and attract more customers. They should just combine both services and eliminate any redundant channels and give everybody everything for the same price. This would still save the new company money (fewer overall channels), and would definitely attract new customers. This won't happen though.
Here's what I do know:

1. No price increase for three years
  2. Program integration within 3 months
  3. Interoperable radios within 9 months
  4. Allowing 3rd parties to develop radios to include terrestrial radio reception, HD radio, and MP3 inputs
You can read about the details of the deal here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ml?q=XM+merger

I was hoping Mel would expand on items 3 & 4.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote