Thread: Switzerland: Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL
View Single Post
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
These Snacks Are Odd
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Crackster View Post
Jup, Josi has a contract with the SC Bern until 2008/2009. After that he will be a Free Agent...

Josi has not signed a contract with the Nashville Predators yet. The Preds have drafted him and own his right for two years.

That means they need to have him under contract within two years. Otherwise they will lose the rights to Roman Josi and he'll become an unrestricted Free Agent and can sign an Entry Level Contract with every team in the NHL.

But now with no agreement between the NHL and the IIHF Josi has to be a Free Agent in Switzerland to come over to North America or have an "NHL out-Clause" in his Swiss-Contract... But the co-existence of an NHL-Contract and a swiss-contract should work. Kevin Romy has signed a NHL-Contract with the Philly Flyers, but is currently playing with the HC Lugano.

Pretty complicated.... I'm not even sure if I wrote it right... LOL
It's pretty complicated, but you covered it pretty well.

Also, with the lack of an IIHF transfer agreement, the whole "signed within two years" rule is kind of up in the air, so they may actually have MORE than two years to sign their European prospects.

The Predators did three "sign-and-loans" last year with European prospects: Patric Hörnqvist, Teemu Laakso, and Robert Dietrich. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with Josi and bring him over next year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote