View Single Post
Old
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Although I agree with nothing what you said above (because you don't take inflation into account as i proved to you earlier in the thread) under your best case scenario the Ranger wouldn't be able to add to any of the needs that are sure to arise over the next few years...

That's awesome!

great salary cap planning....I'm just glad we have a complete team right now..

I appreciate the hard work you did in this thread, i'm sure it took you some time to do but i think you have it all wrong...
If you argue inflation, I counter with salary cap increase. You can't have it both ways - player salaries only inflate if the total payroll per team inflates. Have I sufficiently addressed the point you "proved"?

As to salary cap planning - as I said, if the Rangers want to go out and sign other UFAs next year, THAT'S the place where they've screwed themselves. I admit it, no question - unless there is a trade, I don't believe the Rangers will be able to sign any more big name free agents next year. That's not the point of this thread.

My guess is that Slats already HAS the free agents he wants for the next two years in the fold now. He's signed four big names in the past two years. Most likely this means that he'll be quiet over the next year or so - and GMs who have been relatively quiet this year and last will be the ones who pick up the guys who hit the market in the '09 offseason.

At the end of the day, Slats believes in using the full cap to field the best team he can. You seem to feel that if he could have kept the space he would somehow be able to make the team better than it is by "addressing future needs". Fine, but then bear in mind that if you don't sign Drury or Redden those future needs would include another top 6 forward and a top pairing Dman...

You and others don't like the particular UFAs Slats has signed. I believe that's the real issue here. And that's fine! But my point is whether you like those guys or not, their signings will NOT jeapordize our ability to hang on to our good young prospects.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote