View Single Post
Old
06-15-2004, 10:28 AM
barnburner

vCash: 500
I feel that any player on a "favorites" list should have to play more than one year for a team, so I have to leave Scott Stevens off.
In a couple of seasons, Jackman will undoubtedly make my list.

1. Gary Unger - Great blend of talent and toughness. His iron-man streak was an incredible feat. The Blues failure to recognize Unger's contributions to this franchise is shameful.

2. Barc Plager - For those too young to have seen Barc play - just imagine a more fiery and intense Barret Jackman.. In addition to being an exceptional defensive player, was one of the better offensive dmen in his time. Tough as barbed wire.
Gave everything he had, every minute he was on the ice.

3. Bob Plager - Probably did more with less talent than anybody I ever saw. Exceptionally smart player. Great shotblocker, tough fighter, and had the best hipcheck in hockey. Like Barc, would do ANYTHING to win. I recall many goalmouth scrambles with numerous sticks whacking at the loose puck, and seeing Bobby dive headfirst into the melee to keep the puck from being knocked into his net.

4. Bob Gassoff - Even tho he only played at about 190 lbs, he gave you the impression he was at least 220 lbs. Incredible fighter. Even tho there was a huge size differential - I think Gasser would have given Twist a heck of a match. If Bobby had not tragically had his life ended so soon, he would have been an nhl legend because of his toughness and fighting ability.

5. Glen Hall - "Mr. Goalie" - His play in goal during the Blues first few seasons was a joy to watch. I will never forget the first Cup finals against Montreal. Even tho they lost 4 straight to the Canadians - Hall stood on his head and was nothing short of incredible. Roy or Hasek never played any better than Hall did that series.