View Single Post
Old
06-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Overtime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
No LeClair = No Roenick = No subsequent moves to improve the team = #8-10 in the East the past few years, and that's not even a good draft pick, and not good enough to be a contender. Primeau and Gagne both went down hill the next season, and it would have been real ugly.

However, LeClair didn't actually want to sign for that much and the NHLPA pressured him to do so, thinking he was a premiere player. Oops.
go kj - This is what is being said, but it was Tocchet and Recchi wooing JR, not Leclair. Roenick made it pretty clear he didn't think he would play well with LeClair by his comments about "having" to get Johnny the puck so he could score. He also made it clear the player he wanted to be on a line with was Recchi because Recchi was a passer.

I really don't think LeClair being here was a factor in getting Roenick. I think it WAS a factor in Clarke justifying signing LeClair to such a big and long term contract.

I never heard LeClair "didn't want" to sign for that much. There was some pressure from the NHLPA, but nobody forced his hand, and he was certainly more than happy to ink that deal. What were they going to do? Kick him out of the NHLPA?