View Single Post
Old
08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
That's disgusting. Sjostrom on the first line almost makes me want to not watch the games.

The speed will be there but nothing else, what the hells the point?

Zherdev can't be with Drury because he needs to be top line RW. No questions asked. Unless people are changing positions, Zherdev is top line RW. Sjostrom cannot play above and beyond Zherdev, and as a matter of fact - no other RW on the team can play near his offensive ability, as a true RW'er.

Drury either needs to be shifted to bring Dubinsky into the top six, or the 2nd line gets weaker and the 1st line gets better instead of two semi-even top 2 lines.
Can't say i agree here.

Sometimes a team has to spread out the talent to make things work. Especially in this case. We saw Dubinsky on the first line with Jagr last year after Gomez and Drury didnt work. The same could have been said for him at the time: "Dubinsky cannot play above and beyond Gomez" - But he did, because he fit on that line.

You do what works and sometimes that involves putting players like Sjostrom in that role to even out the lines. Unfortunately the Rangers have a hole there and it has to be filled. Personally i have no problem with Zherdev on the second line. The dropoff in icetime isnt going to be that significant anyway, and it will keep him away from the other teams best D pair as well. Not only that but he is a puck carrier and could work better with Drury and Dawes who can set up and finish his plays. Zherdev wont be on the first line, but he still will be a top line winger.

I have no problem with giving Sjostrom a shot on the top line either. Hes defensively responsible, can keep up with Gomez and spread out the D, he has some skill and a decent shot. He could very well be an option there, especially when you read a recent comment from Renney about wanting to use him more last season. I think that line would present more than just speed.

I'm not suggesting Zherdev HAS to be on the second line, i just think it will work out that way in the end. I could be wrong and Gomez and him click. If thats the case, great. But Dubi on the first line last year is not much different than Sjostrom there this year IMO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote