View Single Post
Old
06-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Who's to say what we can afford, perhaps Gainey just felt that's all Kovalev was worth in this market. Or perhaps it was just his first offer. I'm personally not that interested in an 8M dollar Palffy though.

If no Kovalev, a mid 50's pick next year is way better then the 48th or so pick we would have had if we didn't trade it. Next years draft is looking a lot more like '03, (but more top heavy, the top 5 is looking great)
Not saying that they couldnt afford little more, but isnt that quite bit difference, especially considering Palffy isnt player Gainey was after, when he traded for Kovalev (mix of size and skill). I would be baffled to see Habs signing anyone else that Kovalev for more money than what Koivu makes.

Actually we would have had 51st pick, the choise traded for Kovalev, was bumped down by three compensation picks. I dont know, to me there isnt so much difference between 'good' and 'bad' draft years begins to water down after first round or so. Anyway the real difference is no Balej...