View Single Post
Old
08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
The Canucks need a solid, 2nd line center first and foremost, but Joffrey Lopul would be of interest I'm sure. As would Scotty Hartnell, as he provides the grit and scoring ability that Gillis' covets. Either one in a deal for Kevin Bieksa could be doable. Something has to give in Philly IMO. They have so much depth up front and lack depth on defense that it just makes too much sense for them to make a forward for defense swap. Even if Mike Knuble is gone after next season they'll still have Gagne(if he returns), Briere, Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell in their top 6, as well as other potentials in Upshall, Downie, Giroux and JVR. If Giroux and JVR are expected to crack top 6 spots within the next couple seasons something will have to happen IMO to make room.
I am not sure that is necessary. Knuble will be gone after this season, and I don't know if Upshall figures into the long-term plans (he certainly will not beat out Gagne, Hartnell, Lupul, Giroux, or JVR for top 6 winger minutes). Still, a deal for a reasonably-priced #3 defenseman for one of our wingers plus something else makes a lot of sense.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote