Old
06-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
I would prefer by far Kirill Lyamin who can be physical & very mean while having a little offensive upside.
For about the first time ever on this draft subject, I believe, I have to agree with you on this one!

I've seen Valabik a few times, and I'm not ready to take the risk either. Sure, he could be a very useful defenseman, but I can see him being more of a nastier Kjell Samuelsson than a Chara. The Chara possibility is always there too, but if you're going by percentages, I'd guess:

5% - not even a Focht/Kudroc (they've at least had a cup of coffee in the NHL)
50% - another Focht/Kudroc
40% - a nastier Kjell Samuelsson
5% - something approaching a Chara

Since there will be a ton of other defensemen who might be available at #18 (Meszaros, Smid, Green, even perhaps O'Neill, Wharton, Lyamin, Fransson at a reach), then I'm happier with some of the others.

Of course, a lot of NHL teams would love a "nastier Kjell Samuelsson". That's not actually such a bad thing. Just not a big interest of mine, relative to the other players who could be available.

(I really wish we had another later pick in the 1st round, or an early 2nd rounder, because it would be ideal to be able to walk away from this draft with a Korpikoski/Chipchura/Radulov/Wolski forward at #18, then a Lyamin or some other defenseman just a little bit later.)