View Single Post
Old
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystoopid View Post
So I've been playing for approximately 4 years now. I am currently 16, 6 foot and 169.6 pounds. For the last two years I've been playing JV as I did not take my hockey too seriously to begin with. Now, my coach has approached me and assured me that varsity is just around the corner this season. We hit the ice in October.
The problem is, my mom has been really getting into my head. She warns me that if I get seriously injured my life will be ruined. She knows how much I love hockey, as it is one of my only passions and I never want to give it up.
I never worried about injury before, but this time my mom really put the thought deep in my head. I never thought about it before, but varsity is going to be a huge difference from JV. For the first time I'm scared to play hockey. I haven't been concussed or injured in the three years I've been playing contact hockey (knock on wood), and I really pray to keep it this way.
We've talked about it and decided that for sure I'll be getting a neck brace the next time I hit the pro shop. Do you all think this will help? I know it's required in Canada, which is re-assuring. I'm really afraid of a spinal injury and the neck brace seems to really be protective.
So, what I need is advice/comments/thoughts on injuries. What is the likelihood of getting seriously injured? Thanks for reading.
Well, I'm pretty sure you mean a neck guard, not a brace. Maltese Hockey makes one of the finest neck guards you can buy for your money. It's custom fitted to your neck. As for the other guys that posted on this thread that says it's kind of a waste, I would not agree with that.

In fact, having it can save your live. Do you know that you can bleed out in under 45 seconds. How long does it take for a first aid unit to get to your rink? Not having one is like playing Russian Roulette with the odds. Yes, it hasen't happend to you and several others. But what about the NHL guy last year who almost didn't make it.

I bet if you ask him today, he would tell you that he wished he had it on that day.

Look, hockey is not a game for weak hearted. That's why it's the fastest sport this side of NASCAR racing. Get the neck guard and go have fun. Stop abscessing whether you are going to be paralyzed or not.

You can get hit by a car walking across your street. Just go play hockey and have fun. Don't forget the neck guard!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote