View Single Post
Old
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
When I hear about deals like that, I usually figure, hmm, I was way off on that guy's value, because I assume the worst GM is smarter than me. Boynton is a guy who was on waivers, but waiver players who aren't 'that' bad, gain value as they get later in their deals. Ballard's a good solid d man.

I think the general perception of Jokinen by fans is much higher than by GM's. I wouldn't send them Komisarek and pick one of our Dandy,Bouillon, Halak, or whoever they would've tried to include, most probably a young C. If I thought Komisarek wouldn't sign here, maybe I would but....

Easy to say now when I wonder more about Jokinen.
I don't think it was fair value for Florida, but I don't think Montreal was in a position to offer much more. If Florida wants a young proven D, then it's as you said: Komisarek. So dealing for Jokinen under those circumstances fills a less pressing hole while opening what would be a gaping hole on defense.

In my mind, Ballard's a good defenseman. Probably a legit number two in a few years. I'd say Jokinen's worth two support players of Ballard's calibre.

I think the lack of return had more to do with the market than with Jokinen himself. The market, as it stands, is big on defensemen. Centers with size was the market 5 years ago. Now you've got Jokinen, Marleau, Sundin all seemingly available in a short time frame. And who needs a C?

Let's take a look around the league, just for fun:

NE: Montreal (Plekanec, Koivu); Ottawa (Spezza, Fisher/Vermette); Buffalo (Roy, Connolly); Toronto (they need everything, really); Boston (Savard, Bergeron).

Atlantic: Philly (Briere, Richards, Carter); NYI (rebuilding); NYR (Gomez, Drury), NJ (Elias/Parise, Zajac); Pitts (Crosby, Malkin)

SE: Washington (Backstrom, Nylander); TB (Lecavalier, Stamkos); ATL (a need, but Jokinen ain't going inter-division, and ATL has limited assets to cough up thanks to multiple blunders); Carolina (Staal, Brind'Amour)

See, in looking at the East alone, we've had Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Richards, Roy, Plekanec, Staal, Backstrom, Parise, Bergeron and Zajac emerge in just the last couple of years. That's tremendous amounts of talent progression.

In the West, we've got:

NW: Edmonton (Horcoff, Cogliano/Gagner); Calgary (Langkow, Lombardi); Minnesota (Koivu, Belanger); Vancouver (Sedin, ?)

Pacific: SJ (Thornton, Marleau/Pavelski); Anaheim (Getzlaf, Morrison); PHX (eventual fit); Dallas (Ribeiro, Richards, Modano)

Central: DET (Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Filppula/Franzen); Columbus (a need); St.Louis (Tkachuk; McDonald); Chicago (Toews, Lang); NSH (Arnott, Legwand).

So there's a few teams in the West who can use a good big C. Notably in the NW, where Minny, Calgary, and Vancouver could use Jokinen.

So we've got 3 teams total that need a C, aside from Phoenix.

Calgary - assets include Regehr, Phaneuf, Iginla, Tanguay;
Vancouver - assets include Bieksa, Salo, Edler, Sedin twins;
Minnesota - assets include Gaborik, Bouchard, Koivu, Burns, Johnsson

Calgary's not in terrible shape with Langkow and Lombardi down the middle. Granted, it's not ideal, and from rumours they were in the hunt for Jokinen and were throwing out a package surrounding Tanguay, but it was evident Jacques Martin wants to build on the blueline. And Calgary has nothing to spare there.

Vancouver has Bieksa to spare; others are either damaged (as Bieksa is, too), or unproven. Bieksa himself is damaged--too damaged, and unproven for Jokinen.

Minnesota has no young defenseman that is roughly Ballard's equivalent. Burns is invaluable, and the forward group is too necessary within Minny as it stands.

Phoenix was the only team in the league, I'd argue, who had the young proven defenseman, who also had a very real need for Jokinen.

So we've got a market that isn't in desperate need of Jokinen, but is in desperate need of high-end defensemen. Florida wants/needs a defenseman when dealing Jokinen, likely--I suspect--as a safeguard against Bouwmeester's departure.

Even Montreal, who could use Jokinen, does not need him. And they certainly wouldn't want to part with Komisarek for him, despite the fact that Jokinen is, in all likelihood, a better player and better talent than Komisarek. It's just the market as it is now.

So I don't think Jokinen's value is low in the minds of GMs relative to fans so much as the value for Cs is low in the minds of GMs relative to defensemen.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote