View Single Post
Old
08-24-2008, 09:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Well, we have Ward. So we're kinda set for the next however many years in goal. We also have Leighton who played out of his mind last year in the AHL. So..... we really don't need Neuvirth at all.

Potential top notch shut-down center? Hits a ton, defensively reliable, looks to be a strong leader, etc... Basically looks to a better version of that Chris Clark guy you all like so much.... and he's 19.

True he's not quite as good a scorer as Semin but he's still has seasons of 33 and 31. Semin has one season of 38 and last year he was on pace for 33. Not really seeing the big disparity right there. Factor in Williams' high end two-way play and ridiculously cheap salary, doesn't make sense to trade him for Semin. Not to say I wouldn't love Semin on the Canes, but Justin Williams is more important to this team than Semin would be IMO.
I didn't mean to suggest Neuvirth was needed, just that he's far from mediocre. I imagine his value isn't high right now though.

The Caps have Laich, Steckel, and Gordon as shutdown centers. Gustafsson will bring two-way play as well (more like Brindy with any luck).

Semin was on pace for 40 last year once he got back into playing shape. He will score 50 before too long (or so I can dream).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote