View Single Post
Old
06-19-2004, 08:14 PM
GodZillaAteMyZamboni

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Disagre. Lindros was considered the next Gretsky before he was drafted and subsequently traded. A Lindros-Crosby comparison I could see, but not Lindros Ovechkin. Even an Ovechkin-Kovalchuk comparison is pushing the limit. Ovechkin will probably be great, but to say he is what Lindros couldnt be? No way.
Disagree all you want. It doesn't change the fact that many NHL professionals view Ovechkin as a better prospect than Lindros was (see links below. I could go on, but I think you get the point). Better than Kovalchuk too. Better than "anyone since Lemieux." Time will tell, but there is no denying that AO is being hyped as better than them all. My hope he is that he is at least half as good as billed. That would be one hell of a hockey player.

From the Daily Herald:
"Ovechkin is a 6-foot-2 left wing whom some scouts believe might be the best prospect to come into the league since Mario Lemieux 20 years ago."

From Slam Sports AP wire:
"Pittsburgh Penguins GM Craig Patrick has called him "head and shoulders" above everyone else in the draft class. Florida Panthers GM Rick Dudley said that Ovechkin is "the best prospect I've seen in 20 years in this business."

From the Washington Post:
"
But the consensus heading into the NHL entry draft in Raleigh, N.C., is that Ovechkin is by far the most talented prospect to come along since 1984, when Mario Lemieux was chosen first overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins."

From ESPN:
"...an excellent chance to draft Alexander Ovechkin, a player widely reported to be Lemieux-like in his potential impact on a franchise..."