View Single Post
Old
06-19-2004, 11:36 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
ya he's safe but his ceiling is quite low compared to a lot of other guys who could go before or after him. His biggest attribute is being a safe pick, but not being an overly amazing one
Low ceiling or not, whatever it is, it is STILL as a fine top two line player. How many people would be happy if we had Deadmarsh? This is Ladd. Except more talented offensively, even more willing to do boardwork, just less mean. I think most people would take it. Heck, I bet most people would be happy with Glen Murray right now. Or what about Ryan Smyth? He has the same type of traits that a young Adam Graves had.
Lower ceiling than a Schremp, does not mean that Ladd is condemed to a life of a fringe 4th liner. It just means that the kid MAY NOT be a Kovulchuk, but at the very least, he could be a Maltby/Draper type of player. Whereas, sure Schremp COULD be a suprestar, he also is just as likely to be the next Brendle.
I don't know what an overly amazing pick would be outside of Ovechkin & Malkin are. But if being a safe pick means that , in this particular case, you have a better chance of being a usefull NHLer than a kid who showed up to show his wares overweight or conceivably could be an utter headcase, I'll take the safer pick.