View Single Post
Old
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
Maybe the Kings fans would be nice enough to enlighten us on what their expectations are for the upcoming season?

Contend for the Cup?

Contend for the playoffs?

Contend for the first pick in the draft?
Our expectations are to see some of the younger players improve. Improve our goals against. There is no expectation that the Kings will make the playoffs much less contend for the Cup. While the first pick in the draft is certainly a possibility, I think most people would like to see the team finish better than they did last year. Finishing 25th or better in the league and 13th or better in conference will be a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
I freely admit I don't know what the Kings fans believe. I do think most of them (heck most fans of every team on here) vastly overrate their prospects. I also think the odds of them holding it all together while their young Dmen work it out-- is less than probable.
If you are referring to Kopitar here, I don't think he is considered a prospect. And I can't think of any logical reason why the Kings would even begin to consider moving him without a massive overpayment.

I'm not sure what you comment about the defense is about but Lombardi has had a wet dream of having defensive depth like Nashville for quite sometime. That is something that is just starting to take shape so there is definitely more time needed to allow some of the prospects to develop. I think he's on the right track, though. I just wish we had all of these young prospects 2 years ago when we started this process.

And as far as overvaluing prospects goes, we have been blessed with countless proposals of "let me offer you this piece of **** that you have no use for.. for one of your top players/prospects". Please search through the proposals here for Dustin Brown, Patrick O'Sullivan and plenty others. The one thing that Kings fans keep saying is give us *insert good player/prospects/1st round pick* to counter that crap because 1) Lombardi isn't looking to dump off young players 2) there isn't anyway he would without overpayment. He's made that clear. The only thing that was close to a young player that was traded is Cammalleri who had obvious contract issues and he decided to get something for him before he walked at the end of the year. It seems to be the consensus that would've happened had he stayed this season. So he traded an asset we have a strength in (offense) and improved a weakness (defense).

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote