View Single Post
Old
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
  #594
petelevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It will be interesting what happens to Winchester, none of us know if he is good enough to make this team or whether he will be a tradable asset
As I've said repeatedly, he's on a one-way contract so he's with the big team even if he's spending his time in the pressbox. I think as an unproven player there's no market for him (especially on a two-year, one-way deal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
You may not agree with their opinion but I don't think we can say they are not credible. Afterall we are all really just guessing, some more educated than others.
People don't dismiss Kevin abstractly--do some research and take a look at what he says versus what happens (a good example is the Jason Williams boondoggle this summer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
why do people assume we hate Nikulin if we just surmise he doesn't have what it takes to make this team.
There's no "we", this is about Lee. I assume he dislikes him because when he invents his trade rumours he always includes him going the other way. Check his archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Maybe like us he is looking at the roster and determining that Nikulin isn't good enough to make the team. Based on what we did see of him last year when he played in Ottawa I too thought he lacked any kind of intensity, same for Hennessy.
He (and you) are talking about two games with a grand total of 10 minutes of playing time (playing with a wrist injury). He didn't look great, but it was hardly illuminating. If Kevin bothered to read anything he'd know that Nikulin was considered the top prospect in Binghamton--but hey, that's only the word from the organisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Looking at this roster I see that Schubert, Neil and McAmmond are the most vulnerable to lose their jobs or be traded.
On-ice performance will dictate, but I disagree on Schubert and Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I also think that Nikulin's talent is best suited for the 2nd or 3rd line and I know it won't be the 2nd line because he won't beat out Fisher or Vermette for that spot. IMO I think the Sens would prefer an experienced Kelly or McAmmond to play Centre on the 3rd line which leaves him out. Donovan just signed for two years and Winchester is likely guaranteed a spot because of his one way contract which takes away another roster spot. Foligno and Bass are more likely to make this team but there's no guarantee for them either. Looking at this roster there just doesn't seem to be any room to accomodate Nikulin which may make him a valuable tradable asset.
There's something to your argument. I agree that Nikulin is best suited to 2nd or 3rd line duty. I doubt Vermette will play center. Kelly can play all three forward positions, so if the Sens wanted someone else to play center on the third line he could be shifted. Ultimately Nikulin will decide his own fate--he'll either be the #1 center in Bingo or he'll play ala Filppula during his rookie year. As it stands I believe only one position is open on the team, and that will be between Cody Bass, Nikulin, Ryan Shannon, and Brad Isbister (Bass having the inside shot).

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote