View Single Post
Old
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I don't believe that he was injured but let's assume he was. They won the cup without him... That's the lesson. Sure he's an asset, but they didn't lose or fail or drown without their life preserver in Chelios. It's not the end of the world when you play youngsters instead of the old and slow future hall of famer. And the thing is, Detroit limits Chelios' minutes and they are careful in how they use him. I don't think people in Detriot are worried about Chelios getting 25 or even 22 minutes a night.

So with this Detriot example I am seeing two things: 1 is you can win without that 'name' guy, 2 is you have to limit their minutes.
I'm not saying Detroit can't survive without Chelios in the lineup. we can assume that Chelios was indeed healthy, and Babcock decided to play the finals without him. doesn't affect my point at all. at the end of the day, Detroit decided that Chelios, however marginal his on ice contributions may be, is worth keeping around for another season.

and Chelios' minutes probably will be cut down again. if Detroit's D were as thin as our wings, do you think that would be the case?