View Single Post
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Hopefully the posters here can discuss some of the business points raised by Daly:

*European taxation on salaries/teams
*Effect of distance on travel and TV coverage
*Gate revenues expected to be less than NA teams
*Sponsorships in Europe may be a higher value, or able to potentially mitigate shortfall in gate revenues
*Competition from other European leagues
*Transfer agreements-- any EU laws in play??
This is the showstopper for me, especially during the playoffs.

Imagine the travel involved in a Stockholm/Vancouver or New York/Moscow Stanley Cup finals. In the regular season, you could mitigate somewhat it by having every team barnstorm through Europe once, with a generous break before and after the trip, but the jet lag for a visiting team in a playoff series is a lot to overcome without streching it out to 3 weeks or something like that. Even with a 2-3-2 format, that's a LOT of travel.

If they're insistent on going into Europe I think they'd be better off with an "NHL Europe" - a totally seperate league with a seperate championship. That might get around some of the other issues listed above as well.

I have to wonder if this kind of talk indicates the level of worry about the KHL eating their lunch, not just in Europe but by potentially draining the NA talent pool even further.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote