View Single Post
Old
09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
At that price, Ducks won't be bidders for his services then.

Getzlaf isn't moving as he's our franchise center and next captain and is the perfect kind of player you want leading your team in the playoffs. His contract is solid value.
That's fine, then it's going to have to be Perry.

Quote:
Perry already has chemistry with Getz and on a full season can likely score 35-40 goals. He also agitates the opposition to no end and draws penalties, while providing the spark for our first line.
Maybe he can, but has he? No, he has not. Kovalchuk scored 50+ goals on a draft lottery team with little to no help, as Marian Hossa was not a regular linemate of his, and was traded at the deadline.

Quote:
Kovalchuk is a game-breaker who will score 40-50 easy, maybe 55. I don't think though the difference between him and Perry is a top prospect + top-4 defender + 1 or 2 1st round draft picks.
If Kovalchuk was traded right now the difference would be as high as I think, being that...

A. His stock is definitely higher right now, having a phenomenal season with a terrible team, and needed little to no help to do so.

B. Has 2 years left on his contract, so he's not just a rental player with little to no chance of resigning.

C. This isn't the trade deadline, so there's more time to be had with him under this current contract - which is a bargain, compared to some of the other 50-goal scorers out there - before he goes asking for 8-9 million a year.

Quote:
*IF* ever Ilya leaves ATL I suspect you are going to be awfully disappointed in the return is this is your asking price.
Not if he was traded right now.

Maybe at the deadline where there's a month or two of service no guarantee that he'll be there any longer than that.

There are a lot of things you haven't factored into your argument.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote