View Single Post
Old
06-23-2004, 11:27 AM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Players the Blues could have drafted if they had not given up 5 draft picks when they signed Scott Stevens as a RFA in 1990 (* denotes player Caps picked with Blues pick):

1991: Zigmund Palffy, Ray Whitney, Sandis Ozolinsh
1992: Sergei Gonchar*, Martin Straka
1993: Brendan Witt*, Kenny Jonsson, Adam Deadmarsh, Jason Allison, Saku Koivu, Todd Bertuzzi
1994: Dan Cloutier, Rhett Warrener
1995: Marc Denis, Alexei Morozov, Jan Hlavac

I only listed players that were taken no later than 10 or so picks after the Blues picked.

1994 and 1995 were pretty week, but you still get the point. There just isn't a player in the league worth 5 first round picks.
I don't know that doesn't look too bad. Its pretty hard for a team to draft successfully for five consequetive years in the mid to late picks in the first round. Washington did fairly well grabbing Gonchar and Witt, but to say that St. Louis would've done any better is a stretch IMO.

I'm not saying its worth it, but in this case it was pretty much Gonchar and Witt for Stevens. If the team that's signing the RFA is going to tank, than it might be a better deal for the compensated team because getting picks in the top 10 vs. in the 11-30 range is a huge advantage.