View Single Post
Old
09-14-2008, 12:35 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
We have retired TOO MANY numbers.

The first three numbers retired were GENERATIONAL talents - Morenz, M. Richard and Beliveau.

The following players also DESERVED to have their numbers retired:
Aurel Joliat
Doug Harvey
Jacques Plante
Ken Dryden
Larry Robinson

The following players whose numbers were retired were NOT, in my opinion, generational talents vying for the best player at their own position for many years. They deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but not to have had their number retired:

Dickie Moore
Bernard Geoffrion
Henri Richard
Yvan Cournoyer
Serge Savard
Bob Gainey

Since I don't believe the above merited their honour, I don't think that Lapointe, Shutt or Lemaire would either, nor Elmer Lach or Toe Blake.

Butch Bouchard is tougher, but in the end I would say close but....no. Not enough Cups and not dominant enough at his position.

Patrick Roy I would also say no to, because despite having two great Cup runs, he also played poorly in several other playoffs that the club had a chance to go far or even win it all. Losing five times to Boston and comiong up on the short end of several matchups with their "superstar" goalies of Andy Moog and Rejean Lemelin was painful to watch. To sort of prove my point about how good he was (as opposed to how LONG he played at a high level), Patrick was NEVER ONCE Team Canada's number one goalie. Patrick certainly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, for what he did in BOTH Montreal and Colorado, but falls a bit short of my high standards for retiring a Hab Jersey.

In my opinion, there is only ONE player missing from the list of GENERATIONAL talents, whose number should be retired, and it is......

Georges Vezina.
You forgot Lafleur in your list.

Vezina`s number should had been retired 50-70 years ago. They did it with Morentz. Both died during their playing carreer with te Habs.

At least, Vezina has a Trophy with his name. Not too shabby.

As for Roy. Just think that the Habs would be without CUPS since 1979 without him....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote