View Single Post
Old
09-15-2008, 07:59 AM
mabus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I'm not saying I'd want Koivu's number retired, but your rant is offensive, considering what Koivu has meant to this team and what he still brings.
Quote:
In a generation filled with me first individuals who only care about themselves Koivu has been a dedicated team player, putting the teams needs ahead of his own. Fans like you who constantly bash this man are one of the reasons why some star players avoid Mtl.
I think you're over-reacting just a touch here. Like I said, I love Koivu, he's been the team's heart and soul for the better part of a decade now. Just because I don't think his jersey should be retired doesn't mean I hate him.

Quote:
I wouldn't be ashamed to watch his ceremony and see video of his community achievements, on the contrary, I'd be quite proud of the organization.
Well good for you, but personally I think if we begin retiring the jersey of players who work for the good of the community off the ice as the main criteria, we're going to run out of numbers in about a week. NHL hockey players are, more often than not, the most selfless and most giving of all athletes, they are simply the best kinds of people. Koivu has been exceptional in that regard amongst citizens of our community, but hardly exceptional by NHL standards. The fact is Hockey players by and large are fantastic warm kind people who break their backs to give back to their communities. As much as I love and respect Koivu for what he's done on and off the ice, I don't think community work qualifies one for having their jersey retired.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote