View Single Post
Old
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
You're just like all the rest of the people who think that Brodeur is god, when in fact, its the New Jersey Devil's defensive system that makes Brodeur a success. You put Brodeur on a struggling team like Toronto and he wouldn't do a damn thing.

The Devils have built a team and a system around Brodeurs un-orthodox style of goaltending and it has worked great, but to say that Brodeur is the #1 goalie in the league is bull. There are many other goalies out there who have more skill and are the reason for their team being successful. Brodeur is a good goalie, don't get me wrong....but people forget that most of his success comes from having a good defensive system in front of him that his whole team has bought into.

What has Price done in the NHL to deserve such high regard???? NOTHING!!!
I'm sick of everybody giving praise where it isn't due!! Price hasn't proved one thing in his NHL career and everything he has done before coming to the NHL means absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned. Many players can excel in Junior, the World Juniors and even in the AHL and turn out to be nothing in the NHL. Its happened over and over. We've seen players lead the Canadian World Junior team to gold medals and not ever make and NHL team.
I'm not saying that this very thing will happen to Price, but I don't understand why everybody says he is soooo great when he hasn't proved a thing in the NHL. The only thing he proved so far is that he is only human and that even he can crumble and blow a playoff series for his team.....thats it.

People need to stop giving him an undeserved reputation as a great goalie in the NHL. Wait until he proves something and then brag him up and talk highly of him.....don't do it when he is still young and unproven.
lol...I love debating stuff with you PH...you totally rock.

True Brodeur does play for a team that incorporates a defensive system. But that team has lost a lot of valuable pieces over the years and Brodeur's numbers have continued to be at or near the top.

He doesn't have a great defense in front of him anymore. There is no Scott Steven's, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko. They have been replaced by Paul Martin, Colin White, John Oduya. A pretty big drop off if you ask me.

As for Price, yes he is over rated by a lot of posters here, myself included. He also hasn't really proved anything so far, I will agree.

But from the following list, how many of these goalies would you rather have on our team for this year, and this year only. Forget about age, forget about contract. I've bolded the ones that I would pick.

ANA: J.S. Giguere
ATL: Kari Lehtonen
BOS: Manny Fernandez/Tim Thomas
BUF: Ryan Miller
CAL: Miikka Kiprusoff
CAR: Cam Ward
CHI: Cristobal Huet/Nikolai Khabibulin
COL: Peter Budaj/Andrew Raycroft
CLB: Pascal Leclaire
DAL: Marty Turco
DET: Chris Osgood
EDM: Mathieu Garon
FLA: Tomas Vokoun
LAK: Erik Ersberg/Jason LaBarbera
MIN: Niklas Backstrom
MTL: Carey Price
NSH: Dan Ellis
NJD: Martin Brodeur
NYI: Rick DiPietro
NYR: Henrik Lundqvist
OTT: Martin Gerber
PHI: Martin Biron
PHX: Ilya Bryzgalov
PIT: Marc-Andre Fleury
STL: Manny Legace/Chris Mason
SJS: Evgeni Nabokov
TBL: Mike Smith/Olaf Kolzig
TOR: Vesa Toskala
VAN: Roberto Luongo
WAS: Jose Theodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Not DiPietro?
He's not a bad goalie, and he does have his moments. But for me he's just lacking something that I just can't put my finger on. But I would atleast admit that considering him to be ranked higher than Price, is definitely debatable.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-17-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote