View Single Post
Old
09-17-2008, 01:11 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I'll try to respond to this point by using the same thesis as I did in an injury thread a while back, I don't think anyone got my point then ,maybe I'll be able to articulate it better now:

Koivu, the player, is a character in a fantasy world known to us as the NHL. The notion that what 40 strangers fighting over a piece of rubber has any effect on our real lives is an illusion. The Stanley Cup is just a metal cylinder, and teams are nothing more than arbitrary casts of players. Every time we watch a hockey game and root for a team we chose to live in a fantasy world, and there’s nothing wrong with that. The problem is when people can’t make the difference between that and reality.

I, like most Habs’ fans would love to see Koivu win a Cup, it would be like a happy ending to a movie, a great continuation to our fantasy world. But in reality, Koivu is a guy none of us know personally, and could be replaced by almost anyone with his hockey skills (i.e. fantasy) and be just as adored.

My point is this: you can’t compare fantasy and reality, and not being able to distinguish the difference between the two will leave you vulnerable to being exploited by those who try to blur the line. (I’m sorry, owning a $300 authentic jersey doesn’t bring you closer to being on the team) And no matter how much you’d want it, you’ll never be more than a passive observer to it. Real life means being able to take an active role.

PS: No, Koivu getting cancer doesn’t change the fact that he’s a character in a fantasy world. Plenty of people get cancer every day, and we don’t care about them, they don’t fit any narrative, they are just a statistic. If we really cared about Koivu, the person, getting cancer, then we’d be forced to care about all others, and stop spending our time in fantasy worlds like the NHL and actually do something to help them.

Dude....makes no sense at all. We care because we know Saku. We have a history with him. We always care more about what hits close to home. Hearing about the misfortunes of someone we have never heard about dosent strike the same chord as hearing about the misfortunes of someone you know (personally or not) because it's not random anymore...its closer to you. And hockey is not a fantasy world. It's entertainment in a the real world. One of the things that makes us different from animals....the ability to enjoy things.

When you have empathy you get joy from watching others live something joyful. That's why we get teary eyed when someone achieves something after a long life of trying.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote