View Single Post
Old
09-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Johnny Law

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Are you saying that the economics wouldn't be good for the Phantoms if the ECHL Royals continue to exist or even if the Phantoms replaced the Royals as the hockey tenant of the Sovereign Center? I agree with you that Reading absolutely could not sustain 2 hockey teams, but I think the Phantoms would be extremely successful in Reading if they replaced the Royals.

I'd be curious to know when the arena deal between the Sovereign Bank Arena and the Trenton Devils is up as I'm sure that the city isn't really happy with how poorly the team has drawn since the Devils purchased the Titans.
I meant that Reading is not able to support 2 hockey teams, I agree with you if they replaced the Royals I think they could do very well. Reading lacks real entertainment options and if the Phantoms could add a little more to down town and get more people down there it could be a real positive for Reading and the Phantoms.

Legally speaking though I would imagine it would be a nightmare to remove the Royals from Reading. Additionally, I think the ECHL may be upset as I believe the Royals are one of the more financially successful teams. I could be totally wrong about all of this but I wonder how much trouble the Phantoms would want to go through to get into Reading if a potentially easier deal is available in the Leigh Valley, if they can wait for a stadium.

Its actually one of the more interesting stories in the AHL as I don't see any obvious answer for the Phantoms.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote