View Single Post
Old
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I don't think anyone can deny that there is a growing trend of foreigners getting drafted and leaving after a year or two or not coming over at all. Nowhere in my post did I say I don't like foreigners in the NHL, what I was implying was that unless a guy is a can't miss talent, I think when choosing between a North American guy and a foreigner of similar abilities, it is a much safer and smarter move to pick the local guy. And whether you guys like it or not, I think a lot of GMs are starting to feel the same way too.
The thing is a lot of the "foreigners" who are taken in late rounds are not scouted as much as the CHL players and therefore there are many steals found overseas. A lot of the time there is no one from North America that is a similar player to the European that is being chosen, i'm sure if Gainey/Timmins could've found a Canadian version of Maxim Trunev in this years draft they would've taken him as they wouldn't have to worry about whether he comes over or not.

If Timmins keeps finding studs in Europe, I don't care if 1 of every 2 comes over because for the most part his picks are always excellent and their definitely worth the risk.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote