View Single Post
Old
06-24-2004, 10:22 AM
oil slick

vCash: 500
I wrote this all, but just realized HemskyFreak has basically said the same thing... but here is my take anyways.

From an Oilers perspective, here is the problem I have with Brewer trades, including this one (although value wise, this trade is not bad).

For the Oilers successful run at the end of this year, he was averaging over 26 minutes a game... just to give you some idea, that would put him in the top five players in the game of hockey. Not only did he play those minutes, but IMO he started to play them well at the end. I really like Steve Staois and Jason Smith, but from the past year, give them more than 20 minutes, and they start to suffer... you could see Staois's game plummeting as the year wore on.

If we could sign Niedermeyer, then I'm sure we could send Brewer somewhere, but the chances of us being able to sign him, are basically zero. As much as I like the idea of Niedermeyer in Edmonton, it's a waste of time thinking about it.

As for drafting with the 7th... IF the pick pans out (which I would say is not great odds) it'll take at least 7 years, if ever, for him to be able to pick up the minutes Brewer is playing now.

Last edited by oil slick: 06-24-2004 at 10:31 AM.