View Single Post
Old
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People who say that Subban is BAD defensively just read a 3-year old article and decides to stick with it. From the games I've seen last year, defensively, I prefer Subban to Weber. Difference is that Subban take chances more than Weber and his mistakes appear bigger than they are. Weber's defensive play is purely positional but is also less energetic than Subban. And while we saw some deficiencies as far as Subban's stick work in front of the net maybe costing a goal, I also saw Weber being dominated on the boards and in front of the net and is not as energetic as the kid. Have confidence in both that they have what it takes to make it. But I'm just saying Subban is not as bad as people want him to be. He did a lot of improvement.

And I have a clear example of this. Was this during the Memorial Cup that Subban decided to take the puck from his zone to the offensive zone, shot, missed the net, the puck came immediately to the other team who then had a 2 on 1 on that play and scored. Then the analysts started to say that it was Subban's fault. Okay, maybe if you have a rush like this, be sure to at least shot on the goalie. But how about a winger taking Subban's place on D 'cause clearly, Subban was going to get himself out of position, still nobody took his place.

It all has to do with maturity and the kid is having fun but also realize that his rushes and mistakes will be costly in the NHL. Still, in the NHL whenever he wants to have those Bobby Orr rushes, a winger will then take his place on D.....

I also thought Subban looked better defensively than Weber. Subban may not be great defensively, but I think he is decent and strong enough to make the NHL as a defenseman. He has the hockey sense to read the plays, but holy crap does he take risks, like you mentioned. These risks also caused some bad penalties as well. That is why players go to the AHL. To fix technical and metal parts of their game. Just look at Valentenko, started the season taking huge risks by going for the big hits. Took himself out of position a lot. When he settled down, he was very good.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote