Thread: Stafford
View Single Post
Old
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I don't how many people have actually seen Stafford play last season. What he did in WJC doesn't even begin to describe what this kid can do. He can play all 3 forward positions, but RW is his natural position and the position I've seen him play the most at with UND. He's a kid whose possesses immense skills and smart as a whip. He's got good vision and he can undress opposing defenseman pretty darn well.

Now how will that translate into what he CAN do at the pro level? My guess is that he's likely destined to be a good 2nd liner, maybe see time on a checking line. He's quite good defensively and he's not afraid of playing the body.

I'm not going to get into comparing him to Ladd, Olesz, etc. because for one thing I haven't seen those guys play yet and I feel that it would be an invalid comparison. As for the comparison to Brady Murray, his teammate? Two different type of players. Murray is a speedster who some may classify as a pure goal scorer (although I don't completely agree with that), whereas Stafford is a good sniper who excels both offensively and defensively.