View Single Post
Old
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Now I went fairly literal in that last paragraph, but the meaning seems pretty clear to me: he knows he opened his big mouth too much in the room and that he didn't handle his role as an assistant captain as best as he should have.

Higgins has a known history of talking too much, it doesn't surprise me that he's got a mea culpa here for putting his foot in it in the dressing room. Hopefully he will learn that leadership is an on-ice activity and leave the talking to people who can do it with more experience.

If I had to guess I'd say his comments on Ryder being the problem on his line (he did finally come out and admit this last year) didn't help him, and who knows what followed that in the room. His play is not consistent enough yet that he should be an assistant, and for someone who misses so many open nets he really ought not to be saying much to anyone outside of "sorry Saku, you really should have had 80 points."

Now that all may sound like I'm coming down hard on Higgins, who I really think is a good winger, but I think it goes right to the heart of the matter, that he's got to put up or shut up if he wants to be a leader on this team. There are vets who can show him the ropes, but if wants to take the reigns it's on him to be that guy 24/7, on the ice, in the room & outside of the game.

Kovalev and Roman Hamrlik should have the "A" this year, I don't know why it's even a question on this team.
" I am sorry Saku , i 've just scored 27 goals . If i had made 51 , you would have had 80 points , something you are used to do each season ..."

anything ! How old Higgins is ? It's not to him to carry Koivu and the team . He's a leader , but not The Leader . He was totally right about Ryder , and the Habs management showed that they agreed with him . Also , Captain Kirk Muller said very good things last season , about the leadership of Higgins . I trust his opinion far more than the one of Marty Turco .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote