Thread: Luca Sbisa
View Single Post
Old
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I'm not saying Sbisa should make the team, but the philosophy should have exceptions. Do you think if Luce draft Eric Lindros or Sidney Crosby that he would have them play a year in the AHL?
Generational talents don't really have a place in the discussion. Not to say I don't agree with you, I'm just noting that outliers are pretty worthless because...they're outliers.

Quote:
There are examples on both sides that you can rush a player and stunt his development or that players don't always need to go to the AHL to get seasoning.
Not debating that, just noting what Luce's philosophy of player development is...which was noted above in direct quotes. Are there players that can physically play in the league at a very tender age? Absolutely. Does their ability to physically play in the league necessarily lead to that being the optimal development path? No.

Playing in the AHL can help a player develop confidence that he might not otherwise get while struggling to compete against stiffer NHL competition. I think offensive creativity can be spurned by playing at a lower league...rather than just trying to keep your head above water, the ability to dominate can lead to experimentation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote