View Single Post
Old
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Mess;15571498]Competition for spots is self motivating, as it inspires through fear of loss of job or ice time. for players to bring their A games and perform well to protect their spots of have them stolen away from players below you on the depth chart.

At the end of the day people have to understand that its not an open competition for all spots on the team and players are only auditioning for certain spots and roles. These positions fit their style, skillset and talent levels.

Johnny Mitchell is not being viewed as a Top 9 forward and many of those spots are already guaranteed ie Antropov, Steen, Stajan, Blake, Hagman etc. Grabovski, Kulemin and Tlusty are competing for spots on the top 3 lines when the season opens..If any of the trio fail then they might start the year as Marlies.

Mitchell is competing with the players at the bottom end of the roster trying to crack the 4th line through his play at camp.. He is competing with players like Mayers, Moore, Hollweg, Bell, Devo and some Marlies. In order to make even the 23 man squad he has to force a trade or have one of the above mentioned lose their place and be put on waivers to make room for Mitchell.

That is the question and decision it will come down to for Coach and GM when naming the final roster .. Is Johnny Mitchell >> Moore, Hollweg, Mayers, Bell, Devo, or (any other Marlie in a similar spot as him). Who are you cutting to make room for him?[/
QUOTE]

Corect me if i'm wrong, Tlusty, Kulemin, Stralman, Earl are the only waiver exempt players available. Mitchell, Kronwall, White, Grabovski, Willimas, Frogren and Hollweg all have to clear waivers in order to be sent to the Marlies? I can't imagine cutting down the roster being an easy decision for RW and co. If only either Moore or Deveraux weren't signed it may have been easier to squeeze a Mitchell in the roster, althouhg I think Moore and Deveraux are quite good in their roles.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote