View Single Post
Old
06-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
This is a tough call.

Garon leaving MTL hurts. I really think this guy will be a star someday, and I guess that's why he had to go. His time has definitely come. Chechmanek will be will probably be packing his bags once more by Xmas.

So we had to trade Garon -- I think we can all accept that -- but is Bonk a good return? I think so. There's no doubt that we are a better team with him in the lineup. I would say a big, versatile penalty-killing center is the Habs' number-one need (even more than a top-line scorer), and they have just filled it. I was salivating at the prospect of a free-agent Keith Primeau this off season; while Bonk is nowhere near as good, especially in the intangibles department, it can be argued that he does a lot of the same things. I've never been a Bonk fan, but I've always thought of him as a good asset, one of the guys who has quietly made Ottawa the team they have been over the last few years.

The downside of this deal, apart from losing Garon, is that Kovalev is probably out of the picture now, and we STILL don't have an elite first-line sniper to play with Koivu and Zed. Perez could have filled that role, but he's gone now, and Kastisyn is too raw for the NHL. I'd really rather not have a revolving door with Dackell, Bulis, and Dags again. Maybe they plan on making Higgins a winger. There's certainly no room for him to play at C now.

It's too early to really evaluate this trade. Taken on its own, it looks good, but if Gainey has blown him wad budget-wise and we can't make an offer to a FA winger, I'm just going to be sad.