View Single Post
Old
06-27-2004, 06:24 AM
dunwoody_joe

vCash: 500
I've had time to rethink the deal and I'm generally neutral.

DW has traded potential in Foster, who at 22 seemed to be developing nicely but maybe has hit the wall. Apparently some with the ChiWolves have lost confidence in his defensive game. I suppose that as DW looks into the abyss that is our defensive prospects, he doesn't see room in 2 years for a Foster. OK, with me.

DW trades that for a Havelid who can jump in right now and presumably play top 4 minutes. We can use such a guy right away, this is true. Havelid is 31 and some expect that he has 2 years left in NA before going back to Sweden to finish his career. Is he really top 4 here? Maybe, but that just shows how weak our defense corps really is.

Alright, with the defenseman choices yesterday, I suppose we could move a defenseman prospect but I would rather trade off a Nikulin (no loss there), Dwyer or even Rossiter.

I'll trust that Foster can't make the jump to the NHL level otherwise this trade isn't good. Havelid is a solid #4-6 for the Thrashers for probably 2 years at little risk. Foster's upside is a top 4 defenseman for 15 years at a fair amount of risk.

We'll see