View Single Post
Old
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
The one player I was hoping for in the 07 draft was Mikael Backlund. How's he doing so far?

I think he was drafted by the rockets but am not sure if he's going to play there this year or make the Flames out of camp this season.
Leafs Director of Amateur scouting Dave Morrison confessed after the draft that had the Leafs not traded their 1st rounder for Toskala they were prepared to select either Mikael Backlund or David Perron (whom you can see tonight with the Blues) with Leafs 1st rounder in 2007. Perron had a hattrick the other night for the Blues and has 5 goals in the preseason.

I thought Leafs should have traded Tucker to Calgary rather then resign him at the time and get Flames 1st rounder .. Oddly enough Calgary selected Backlund with that very pick.. Backlund has played well at Flames camp but they have 14 forwards on 1 way deals so he is not likely to make the team as even Dustin Boyd who leads the Flames in exhibition scoring is also still on the bubble with the vet roster..

Fun fact .. Backlund was selected by my Kelowna Rockets in the Euro import draft last year and Flames could send him to the WHL if they want. Luke Schenn and Backlund could be teammates this season in the dub this year. If that happens I can keep a close eye on both for you.