Thread: Injury Report: Gaustad out 3-4 weeks
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2008, 12:54 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Zagrapan would be my choice and if he continues to play well in the remaining preseason games he should be the Sabres choice. But the Sabres may decide they have to fill the spot with a more physical player (Darche/Mancari) or try to make a splash with Gerbe. I think they have use this opportunity to give Zagrapan a shot and see what they have. It'll be a bitter pill to swallow if he's sent down and will push him that much closer to jumping to the KHL next year.
I disagree that this is an opportunity to see what Zags can do. He will be playing with the 4th line if he even gets in the lineup. I don't see how that gives him much of an opportunity to do his thing. If someone like Connolly was the one out and Zags was taking his place. Then I would agree its an opportunity for him. Whether he deserves it or is ready for it is another matter.

Also I don't see how he should take it as a bitter pill if he is sent down to the AHL. One good camp does not erase two mediocre AHL campaigns. I would expect a 1st round pick to be a fairly dominant player offensively in the AHL before getting shot. Especially if offensive prowess was why you were drafted. Guys like Roy, Pommer, MacArthur were fairly dominant offensively in their AHL stints. Even Goose had two season of his 3 in the AHL with better numbers than Zags.

His training camp performance is a good start. IMO The best thing for Zags is to start in Portland and build on that momentum. He will be in a stable situation this year as opposed to last. He will also have much more talent to play with so he can really be in a good position to develop his game. I think that would serve him better than trying to get some playing time on the 4th line right now.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-01-2008 at 01:05 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote