Thread: o'byrne
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
There is no need to make the move now..... we only have 2 mill or so in cap space.

2 million now gets you a pretty ****** defenceman... heck Jeff Finger is getting nearly double that.

However you play O'Byrne from now till February... he gets 50-60 games more NHL experience. At that point you can make a trade for a top 4 D at the deadline.

The 2million in capspace that you have now, allows you to take on a contract of up to 7million dollars since 3/4 of the season has already past, you only take 1/4 of the cap hit.

Right now I agree a top 4 D is necessary, but at the same time we aren't gonna be in trouble in January if we haven't gotten one yet. And who knows how much O'Byrne or Gorges might improve in those 4 months.... Its possible they could make getting another D unneccessary.
I don't think we need one today. I think it's talking prematurely. At the deadline, I guess it's like you said, O'Byrne/Breezer/Gorges/Bouillon have 4months to all show us we do not need an extra D.
But we haven't seen our complete regular line up once.
After the first 10-20 regular season games, we'll have a better idea as to what we need.
O'Byrne hasn't been horrific, some people exaggerate a little too much. He's not having the best camp, but him and Breezer alternating 4th might be a good thing.
It will also be the first time we truly see how fast O'Byrne develops.
Personally, I thought he had a great start until he broke his thumb. After a bit more than a month off, it's always though to get back in perfect shape. It's also normal for a youngster to make mistakes, but I thought he did a much better job in his NHL debute season than Komi did.

I think many will be surprised by O'Byrne this season. Once he gets into his comfort zone after a few reg season games, he'll be good. Well, Thats what I think.

Last edited by Kriss E: 10-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote