View Single Post
Old
10-04-2008, 11:43 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Cowan might have the experience, but he also has a 1 way contract. Teams will remember that LA had to expose him on re-entry waivers just to dump him. They'll also remember that he has a single point last season in 46 games, and that he didn't do much to protect his teammates.
But if a team is in need of a player like Cowan or Brown on their roster for the upcoming season, I'm guessing it's to keep them on the NHL roster for at least a chunk of the season, so I don't think the one-way/two-way thing will be a big decision criteria. I don't think either Cowan or Brown will be picked up, either way.

I believe Cowan was just on regular waivers when the Canucks claimed him, though.

Quote:
Utility players are replaceable, unless you stupidly sign them to a one way contract. Then, if you're a budget conscious team like most NHL teams are, you're stuck with him.
Agreed on that. That's why I think there's little chance that Brown gets picked up. And if he does, there are plenty of similar players on waivers that the Canucks could pick up to replace him if they need to.

A guy like Zenon Konopka made it through waivers a few days ago, and he's every bit the heart and soul/fighter type as the Canucks' castoffs. Plus he's shown an ability to be an almost PPG player in the AHL.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote