View Single Post
Old
10-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good point. Still, even with Lang as a centerman, I would have been tempted to try him as a winger. He would not have won a lot of battles along the board, but might have used his skills to get the puck out anyway.

Again, it's just a question of some of our youth that I don't think we give them a hard enough look and get rid of them before doing so. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep, it shouldn't be a Ribeiro V.2 since Grabovski still has to prove a lot AND the fact that not only Lang could be serviceable but Pateryn could develop into something good as well......(though on the Ribeiro, some might still wonder how Conboy will develop....the only hope that the Ribeiro trade wasn't that bad after all....)
Grabovsky was traded for hockey reasons, there were guys as skilled as him but younger or bigger and he was caught in the numbers. I think Gainey thought he may go play in Russia at some point if things did not work so it was a trade him or lose him scenario.

Ribeiro was not really traded for hockey reasons, though he had his issues on ice(not strong defensively and very streaky), it was mostly due to his lifestyle and felt he was a cancer in the room. It's pretty obvious he has matured since then and used it as a wakeup call.