View Single Post
Old
06-29-2004, 07:29 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Well his success in the OHL is just numbers. If I was a GM that's not what I would be looking for to sign a guy. Sure it could influence me but the main point is :

Do we take a chance on this guy ?
What are the odds that if we develop him, he'll be an NHLer for us in the future ?

& for those 2 questions : Maxim Lapierre & Cory Urquhart are way ahead of Corey Locke. Would I sign Locke ? Probably if I want more than 3 but if , like the original thread is we have only 2 or 3 players to sign, then it would be Urquhart & Lapierre before Locke.
Every draft choice from 1 to the last overall are a chance and a risk! You draft those players because you are taking a chance on developing them into a complete player for your future team, if after the 3 years of development he doesn't succeed you walk away. One would hate to see you draft a player and let him go back into the draft or as a UFA and he becomes a very good NHLer elsewhere...hello Martin St.Louis.

Your saying one can't be influenced because of numbers but on your signature you already have Chipchura labeled a failure with some other draft choices that didn't pan out in Montreal. Montreal is like any other team in this league, not every draft pick will make the NHL and sometimes your 1st pick is your worse pick...but it happens to every team. Your judging our top pick already when in all reality a good scout tells you it takes 2 - 3 years to know if the player you chose will be an NHLer.

How come it is easy for you to assume the success over a player better than anyone else on this board? Maybe you should call Timmins and Savard and tell them how to do their job!

To me your jumping to conclusions with out having anything to base your opinion on. Montreal drafted Locke to give him an opportunity, he is too talented not to be given a fair chance and is worth the risk of 60,000 - 75,000 per in the minors for 3 years.