View Single Post
Old
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it definitely could be a problem, although many of the tickets were sold by the teams prior to the crisis. True there are a lot of game day tickets, etc., that may go unsold, but the bulk of their revenues come from subscriptions, luxury suites, etc. that were already paid for. Next season could be a disaster. What may also hurt the cap is the recent strengthening of the USD compared to the Candian dollar, which, I believe, contributed a fair amount to the increase in the cap. It's not inconceivable that it does down next season, and down even more the season after, both of which will be interesting scenarios.
The problem for the NHL is that they get so much of their total revenue from ticket sales, even a small drop in average attendence per game could be a big issue--especially for teams that don't regularly sell out. And the Rangers are feeling it right now: I got an email a few days ago announcing that they were selling mini-plans of high prices seats (I think they were 10 and 20 game packages). It's very possible that a number of big name accounts made sudden adjustments to their entertainment budgets.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote