View Single Post
Old
10-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
... so what do you think Gorges and a 1st can get us? I imagine that with how Gorges has progressed, the compensation would be more than a Rivet.

I'm not saying the Habs will or should do this come trade deadline, but if we're making a push and it seems we're only missing a Top 4 D, I think there's a chance this offer could yield that from a weaker team.

Salary cap issues aside, do you think Gorges and a 1st could get us Kubina?
You can't just put the cap issues aside... not in today's NHL.

1) I don't want Kubina he's signed for an extra year after this year. This creates a big problem for signing Komisarek and our UFA forwards. We also can't fit him in right now without dumping Dandy and Bouillion... so now you've weakened your third pairing and your depth.
2) Getting a Top 4 D... but losing our own top 4 D (which Gorges is right now) is not what i want to do. I want to get a Top 4D that pushes Gorges down to 5th on the depth chart.... That is a bigger way to improve the team in my mind.
3) Gorges is on a very cap friendly deal.... You build depth by having guys like him on good deals. A good 5th D (ie move him down as O'b or another prospect develops into the number 4, or by picking up a number 4) for about 1million.... thats gold.
4) No need to make a move now... O'byrne needs to play. If we want a #4D we can revisit this at the deadline. With our cap space we can get a better #4d at that point then we can now.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote