View Single Post
Old
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
When he is signed, it'll be for no more than the qualifying offer and in all likelihood, it'll be for less.
Why would Pronger take less money to stay with the Blues? He knows the system and that the Blues owe him 9.5 million or else he'll explore other options. I don't think he'll get a contract close to what he gets from the Blues if he was a UFA, since a team would need to clear that much in contract off its roster.

Is there a benefit for Pronger to sign for less than his QO? Right now, the Blues are stuck with the contracts of Tkachuk and Weight and with Pronger's deal, that's about 25 million for 3 guys. So, would an extra 1.5 million or 2 off Pronger's deal allow the Blues to sign a player that would help them improve their Cup chances?

Lidstrom got reupped for 10 million, so I can't see Pronger wanting to dip too far off what he earned last season. If I'm Pronger, I might redo my contract for less money, but only after the Blues improve the team. So, have a gentleman's agreement, that Pronger will take less money if the Blues sign a player or two that chris feels would improve the team. Otherwise, why take less money than you can get if your cup chances are not enhanced?