View Single Post
Old
10-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

vCash: 500
I was actually impressed by Tanguay tonight. All summer, I actually fretted that Tanguay would turn into another Samsonov, and would be the focal point of disappointment. While Tanguay did not do much offensively, he was terrific away from the puck. He was aggressive on the forecheck, and was actually involved in coming back and helping out in his own end. Already, that is more than what we saw in Samsonov. Tanguay actually seems like a hardworking player who has skill. I was afraid, because I also had the perception that he was another soft, complementary player who is one dimensional, and doesn't work hard off the puck. That was completely off it seems. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of him.

I thought the Canadiens looked rusty tonight. Their PP needs some work, as they used so many different players out there. I actually thought that even Brisebois was utilized as a Streit type player. Also, we got such a bad bounce literally on the Vanek goal, as the puck hopped over Komisarek's stick, and the play just unraveled after that. Otherwise, I thought the team was good defensively, and Price played very well. Begin was a downer tonight. On that one shift, he was lucky not to get three or four calls against him. Just didn't play the game smart, and lost his head at that crucial time during the game.

I have to acknowledge that Buffalo is a tough team to play against. They don't have any superstars (I don't think Vanek is at that level yet), but really buy into Ruff's system. All of their players can skate, and are aggressive on the forecheck. It makes a puck possession game like the Canadiens play a difficult proposition. I think the Sabres will challenge us all year, and won't make it easy.

Oh and I miss Chris Higgins. Latendresse was decent on Koivu's wing, but Higgins is by far a better finisher, and it would have been nice to see some hands tonight.