View Single Post
Old
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I like Higgins alot, people put him too high on a pedastal thinking he can be a 35 goal guy or something.

But he's a guy who can get 25-30 and plays the game well and a good character aswell as a true Hab...I'm not sold on giving up on him for a guy like Gaborik.

I knoe Gaborik has more talent but there's other factors to take into account, like Gaborik being a little difficult to coach apparently, injuries etc...
I feel the same way...

If you look at our roster, I don't really believe that swapping Gaborik for Higgins (+ prospects) is the kind of mover that will make the team "better" from a Playoff success point of view.

Obviously Gaborik is a star player, and much better than Higgins, but it's not like our team was weak in the goal scoring department last season, nor will it be this year.

I suppose the argument could be made that a natural finisher like Gaborik would have buried enough chances in the flyers series to put us through, but I'm willing to wait and watch Kots evolve into that guy this season.

With tanguay, kost, kost jr, Koivu, kovalev, pleks, we have more than enough offensive "skill" to be a contender now, and I think losing some of the intangibles that a player like Higgins brings (attitude, commitment, willingness to play hard even when not being used in an offensive role) would hurt us more.

that being said, i can't say that i've watched Gaborik enough to know, for sure, that he doesn't bring those types of intangibles to the table, but from all the "talk" on these boards, it certainly seems to be the case.

and besides, he'd cost too much anyways (what with all the ufa's we have coming up next year).

I like the Radulov idea... if there were a way to land him (without giving up Higgins) I'd be all over it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote