View Single Post
Old
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There are, quite literally, 60 guys in the world capable of playing that role. 60. Is Parent a good prospect with a good upside? Absolutely. Does that mean he's a shoe-in to be one of those 60? No.
I would love for you to name me 60 guys with Parent's speed, defensive instinct, size and outlet pass ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
My views have nothing to do with the first game of the season. I've been expressing these views since June.
True, but believe it or not, 1 game doesn't prove that your views are right or wrong. If the D is still crap in game 40, then yes there is a problem. But it's way too early to be making judgments.

Quote:
Eminger is a 1st round bust through the first 200 games of his NHL career. That's what he is. A reclamation project...most reclamation projects don't get reclaimed.

Coburn had played in 38 games before coming to the Flyers...he hadn't been given a chance. Eminger has played in over 200...he was given a lot of chances and didn't make muster. Big difference and a poor comparison.
I honestly don't see how giving a kid playing time for years as an 18, 19, and 20 year-old on awful defensive teams is "giving him a chance." I mean, it's giving him a chance to fail, but how many kids are going to succeed in that situation? Especially a kid like Eminger whose strength is tools, not instincts (no harm in admitting that, it's true).

Quote:
Yes...the next 5-10 years with a contract structure that is ossifying heavily in favor of spending on the forwards.
They have some limited flexibility. Lupul is very tradeable, so is Carter and they have 10 mill coming off in 3 years.

Quote:
A marginal NHL player went and played well in a weaker league? Shocking...Kukkonen was a stud in the Finnish league.
My point wasn't about Vaananen in the SEL, my point was that he realized he needed to adapt to the new NHL and he went to the SEL specifically so that he could work on doing that and considering he looked to have average speed on Saturday, I'd say early results are positive. Realistically his ceiling is a No.4, but that's not too bad especially if they can move him down to the 3rd pairing later in the year once everyone is healthy.

Quote:
There's a difference between struggling and having Option A be an 18 y/o kid, who is now our 2nd pairing defenseman. That's a developing greek tragedy. Meanwhile, guy who left the NHL to play in the SEL is now playing on our "1st pairing," and Timonen is going to be playing 30 minutes a night in an attempt to keep some semblance of a competitive defense on the ice.
C'mon man, your 18 year-old kid has been Option A for 1-2 games, why else do you think they made the Alberts trade? And they've specifically said that they want to cut Kimmo's time by 5-6 minutes.

Quote:
Trading Weinrich and Therien away looks pretty damn stupid in retrospect...no?
Yes, I'm sure Chris Therien would have saved our season, too bad we weren't playing against Jagr.

Quote:
In a cap world it's even more important to structure your team in an intelligent fashion. Most important positions: goalie, defense, center.
Canes won a Cup with forwards and Pitt made it to the Finals with great forwards and good team defense and the last 2 defensive oriented teams that have won have had Hall of Fame caliber defensemen anchoring their bluelines, we're not going to have anybody like that any time soon.

Quote:
What solution? He started collecting third pairing D and praying to God that one of 'em would "step up," and signed Randy Jones to an egregiously poor contract that was backed by some of the dumbest logic I've ever seen in print. Why they didn't take him to arbitration, or see if someone would make him an offer remains inexplicable.
Are we still freaking out about the 2-year Randy Jones contract? I mean, if that's Holmgren's worst move as a GM, then we are sitting pretty.

I asked you this over the summer and I'll ask you again, what would you have done differently? Name me realistic players that you would have targeted outside of J-Bouw who is obviously going to cost 2 arms and a leg. From what Muir was saying in his column, it sounded like his price would be Carter, JVR, and a 1st.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote