View Single Post
Old
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
From where I was sitting, it was a meaningless fight. Neither Laraque nor Thornton were defending teammates. The game had not gotten to the point where players were going to be riled up by their respective goons going at it. If our players needed a fight like that to get motivated, then we'd have a problem.

I think a better example of momentum being triggered would be Lapierre's shorthanded goal. Unfortunately it was at the end of the period, so the Habs couldn't really do anything with that momentum.
Didn't Georges say he went after Thornton because of the Begin fight in the preseason?

At 0-0, early in the game if BGL feels he needs to settle the score I don't see any problem with that. It didn't put the team in trouble, didn't hurt the flow of the game. Plus it gets the crowd into it, which can boost the players. Also, the rest of the game definitely wasn't nearly as chippy as other Bruins games. There was 1 scrum I think (where Lucic and Komi got 10mins). Whether or not Laraque had anything to do with that is obviously debatable, but if he helps the players play with confidence then he's doing his job.

Also, any word on why Lucic and Komisarek got 10min misconducts? It seemed to be a little glossed over and I didn't hear any explanation as to why they got the penalties.

Another issue that isn't really being brought up is A. Kostitsyn boarding people. Doesn't seem thread worthy yet, but we seem to be ignoring that this is the second time in 4 games he's hit from behind. (And I'm pretty sure he hit Chara from behind in the playoffs last year.) I'm all for him finishing his checks and playing a physical game, but he needs to know when to let up. Two hits from behind in four games isn't an accident that happens once in a while when you play physical, it's starting to become a trend that needs to be taken care of.