View Single Post
Old
10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I just think that it's a very fair criticism to point out that this team needs to play 60 mins to win. We only played 1 period against the Bruins and it almost cost us.

In a way this may be a good thing for the boys who will realize they need to give 60mins of good hockey to win games.
I think that leading 3-0 doesn't guarantee the rest of the game. The result isn't solely up to our guys. Mtl is what they are against Boston, they're in their heads no matter what the B's say. It's easy to think that Mtl's effort is all that matters when really, you see this a lot now. Mtl had chances, Boston got a goal off a broken play at the end of the power play, then a 5 on 3. They played a good 2nd half of the game and capitalized. I don't think Mtl sat back, or quit, but not many teams have their feet on the gas for 60 minutes.

Pre-Lockout, the last 30 minutes would've been a sleeper as Juneau-Dackell and Sundtrom would've dumped the puck in rush after rush. This team's strength is offense and no matter what they say in the papers, their best defense with a 3-0 lead is a 4th goal.

It goes against player's instincts though. It happens to everyone. Now, admittedly, if you want to be the best it has to happen less often to you, so it's a good example from them to learn from.