View Single Post
Old
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Burty34

vCash: 500
I read pretty much all the posts and agree with some and disagree with some.

First, I don't think a new team in Ontario should be based in Toronto. The population is misleading when you think in terms of people who actually follow hockey. TO is a very multi-cultured town. A new team in Ontario should be placed in Kitchener or Hamilton. Preferably Kitchener. That area, with a one hour radius, is populated with a hockey mad fanbase. Kitchener/Waterloo area being the center of London, Guelph, Cambridge, Brantford, Midwestern Ontario, and the GTA.

Second, and this just has to deal with a team being placed in the Toronto area. For example, as a die hard fan of the Habs, if another team came into to Montreal, I would not feel obligated to cheer for them. I wouldn't be happy if they won the cup, it means that my Canadiens didn't win. Two teams battling for supremacy over the city's fanbase is great for competition and rivalry.

Third, the NHL has done a great job expanding into places where hockey was never present before. They have created many new fans and have opened up more choices for kids when they are deciding what sport they enjoy. But the bottom line is, it is a business and when there are markets that are not doing well, why not put teams in places where they will be successful?

Burty34 is offline   Reply With Quote